Yankees Baseball Team History Continued
Roger Maris hits his 61st home run in the season's final game for a Major-League record in October 1, 1961. Jack Reedís 22nd inning two-run home run ends the longest game in Yankee history, a 9-7 win at Detroit.
CBS purchases 80% of Yankees for $11,200,000. In November 2, 1964 the network later buys the remaining 20%.
June 8, 1969:Number (7) is retired on "Mickey Mantle Day" in June 8, 1969 it is celebrated at Yankee Stadium. Aug. 8, 1972
CBS sold the Yankees to George M Steinbrenner III, A limited partnership, headed by its managing general partner in January 3, 1973.
Catfish Hunter the free agent signs a record five-year contract December 31, 1974.
Billy Martin for his first of five stints as manager August 1, 1975.
Chris Chamblissí ninth-inning home run gives the Yankees their 30th pennant in october 14, 1976.
Free agent Reggie Jackson signs a five-year contract in november 29, 1976.
Reggie Jackson hits three home runs in Game Six of the World Series vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers at Yankee Stadium october 18, 1977 to get the nick name Mr October.
Ron Guidry establishes a franchise record by striking out 18 batters in June 18, 1978.
Billy Martin resigns as manager july 24, 1978. Billy Martin returns as Yankee manager, replacing Bob Lemon June 18,1979. Yankees Captain Thurman Munson dies in a plane crash in Canton, Ohio, at age 32 (his number "15" is retired. Free agent Dave Winfield signs a record 10-year contract December 15, 1980.
Dave Righetti pitches only the sixth regular-season no-hitter July 4 1983.
Billy Martin is named manager for the fourth time, replacing Yogi Berra April 28 1985. Lou Piniella is named manager, replacing Billy Martin October 17, 1985
Don Mattingly homers to tie Dale Long's Major-League record of hitting a home run in eight consecutive games July 18, 1987.
Don Mattingly hits a grand slam setting a Major-League record with six grand slams in a season september 29,1987.
Billy Martin for the fith and final time is replaced as manager of the Yankees. Lou Piniella is named manager for the second time June 23, 1987.
Bucky Dent replaces Dallas Green as Yankee manager, August 18, 1989.
Dec. 25: Billy Martin dies in an automobile accident at age 61.