Aston Martin Automobile
Category: Automotive History
Facts about Aston Martin Automobiles. The Aston Martin Car is a luxury sedan, manufactured by the British automobile manufacturer, the Aston Martin Lagonda Limited. The business manufacturers, luxury sports sedans and grand tour vehicles. The business became connected with luxury grand touring sedans during the 1950s and 1960s and with the imaginary character James Bond after his use of a DB5 model car during the 1964 movie, Goldfinger. The company has owned a chequered economic history, including insolvency during the 1970s, but has also taken pleasure in long periods of stability and success, including under the possession of David Brown, an English industrialist, from 1947 to 1972 and under the control of the Ford Motor Company from 1994 to 2007.
Aston Martin Automobile History and Information
The business was established by the British engineers, Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin during 1913. The two men had joined forces with the name of Bamford and Martin the preceding year to sell sedans constructed by Singer from premises in London where they serviced Calthorpe and GWK vehicles, as well. Lionel contested specials at Aston Hill, and the duo determined to construct their own automobiles. The first sedan to be called as Aston Martin, and it was constructed by Lionel by fixing a 4-cylinder engine to the framework of a 1908 model, the Isotta-Fraschini.
They purchased a building at Henniker Mews in Kensington and manufactured their first sedan during March 1915. However, the manufacture could not initiate due to the outbreak of the First World War, and Bamford joined the Royal Army Service Corps and Martin joined the Admiralty. All equipment sold to the Sopwith Aviation Corporation.
Following the end of the war, the business was reestablished and a new sedan was designed to bear the Aston-Martin name. Robert left the business during 1920 and it was refreshed with financial support from an automobile engineer and an English racing driver, Count Louis Zborowski.
During 1922, the business manufactured cars to vie with the French Grand Prix, which continued to set world pace and staying power records at Brooklands.
About 55 sedans were constructed for auction in two configurations, such as short chassis and long chassis. Then in 1924, the business went insolvent and it was purchased by Lady Charnwood, who place John Benson, her son on the board. The business failed once more during 1925 and the plant was closed in 1926, with the exit of Lionel.
Later that year, Augustus Bertelli, Bill Renwick and shareholders, which comprised Lady Charnwood, assumed the control of the business. They renamed the business as Aston Martin Motors and shifted it to the previous factory to Feltham. Bertelli and Renwick had been in a joint venture for some years and had constructed an overhead-cam 4-cylinder engine by using the original combustion compartment design of Renwick, which they had checked in an Enfield Allday framework. The only motor car made by "Renwick and Bertelli" was the Buzzbox and it still survives.
The duo had planned to put up their engine for sale to motor makers, but having perceived that the Aston Martin was no longer in manufacture, realized they could take advantage of its reputation to jump start the manufacture of a completely new sedan.
All Facts are based on our research, always check lookseek facts in case of any errors. Lookseek is not responsible for any mistakes in this article.