Going for a boat ride can be very exciting especially for the first timers. Around US there are many towns where one can have a boat ride whether paid or free. The amazing sites portrayed while boating are things that makes these towns tick.
A good boating town should be readily accessible and have the following; a body of water which a person can use to travel from one destination to another, docks, boat racks, moorings and houses which should be near the water. In case you are planning for a long season there should be a safe harbor which can be used in case of a storm and boating club for relaxing and catching up with your fellow boaters. Here are some towns that are well known for boating experiences.
· Discovery Bay California is very unique for boat riding. It is a town located in East Bay area of California between Walnut Creek and Stockton. It is one of the boating communities in the world and the ability to live on the water boating with your private marina makes it more interesting.
The population of this town does not exceed 9,000 and it has schools and other public facilities. There are a number of homes with private docks and one can access Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta while in this town. Over the years, Discovery Bay has grown and extended to the west which also has both gated and non-gated off water communities. One thing I find fascinating about this town is that it allows a person live in a waterfront community with boating as their main theme, crime is low and it has a medical facility.
· Port Jefferson is a very small town in New York City with only 8 000 people living in the north shore of Long Island. Here boaters flock all year long because of its great harbors as well as sheltered sailings. It has a vineyard for wine and this has been attracting tourists as they also enjoy golf and biking.
If planning for a long season one can live in the neighborhood of Port Jefferson because living in this town is generally very expensive. Some of the beautiful surrounding towns are Setaukets, Belle Terre and Mt Sinai just to name a few. If you are planning to own a home here, just prepare yourself with a large amount of money because prices are high as well taxes.
· New Bern is a town in North Carolina which is viewed as a historic town. For the people who love boating this is a perfect town because it is located between two rivers. The Neuse and Trent Rivers meet here and so boating becomes so enjoyable. August is usually the rainiest months among others and the climate is not very hash. It was a town originally settled by Swiss and Germans and the second oldest town in North Carolina. The cost of living here is average accommodating people of all walks of life. For the boaters who love big town, this is not the place to be and crime rate is very high. There are a number of restaurants and health facilities found here so it is a self contained town.
· Another interesting town is Port Charlotte which is a marine oriented community. It is located in Southern Florida. Here almost everybody has a boat because of the availability of canals. On your way to Gulf of Mexico you will find many rivers and bays. The people who like to stay here are retirees who are attracted by its warm winters. Every home has water because of the canals and life generally is average. For the home owners, or boaters who would love to settle here, houses are cheap because it was hit by Hurricane Charley back in 2004. However, this does not make it unpleasant for living because crime rate is generally low.
· Boaters can also enjoy the town of Anacortes which is located on Fidalgo Island. There waters are protected and sailing to San Juan and Victoria is very enjoyable. In fact most of the tourists visiting San Juan pass through this town to have an experience in boating. It has downtown antique stores and shops. There are a number of festivals around this town and Washington Park is also found here.
For those who want to live here housing is a bit expensive whether you live on water or its surrounding. Cost of living too is very high compared to other towns. However the crime rate is average and no cause for alarm.
These are few boating towns in the US though there are much many more. Anytime you want to travel, at least you have an idea.